|Title||Ge Ez (Ethiopic) Bible|
LCCN-BS 731 manuscript Call#-BS 731 manuscript Ge Ez (Ethiopic) Bible (Date Unknown)
The first Ethiopic text of Psalms was published in 1513 in Rome.
This handwritten manuscript on parchment contains the Book of Psalms, the prayers of various prophets (15), Song of Solomon, and the miracles of Mary. It was hand sewed and backed with wood. It appears to be a rebinding. No date is given and cannot be accurately dated.
The Ethiopic Bible was originally translated from the Greek (N.T. and LXX O.T.) between the fourth and sixth centuries. During this period Greek was the official language of the "Imperod' Oriente" commonly used in the Syria Church and the Egyptian Coptic (the church closely associated with church of Ethiopia for centuries). Some suggest that Origen's Hexapla may have been used in the translation. In the years between the sixth and thirteenth centuries many errors crept into the Ge'ez manuscripts. Abba Salama began to revise the Ethiopic text of the gospels on the basis of an Arabic recession in the fourteenth century.
Given to Donald Brake in 1971 by an Ethiopian Orthodox Priest in Debra Berhan.